Pages

Monday 30 July 2012

Concrete Safari

I'm going to be honest and admit that I have been a bit down on NYC lately. I was letting the city get the better of me but I'm finally starting to snap out of it. I think it's the summer. This probably sounds a bit strange but someone described NYC in the summer as gritty and I can't think of a more fitting adjective. It's hot, humid and sticky, smells of baking garbage and is ridiculously crowded. Not crowded with New Yorkers though, crowded with "middle of the sidewalk stopping" tourists. I was missing the sky, greenery, houses with yards and layered clothing, among other things. While I still do miss most of those things, I gave myself a stern talking to, told myself to stop being a baby and enjoy living in one of the coolest cities of all time. The little visit from my mom definitely helped too!


 
  

tan safari dress {BCBG Max Azria via Century 21} - necklace {Loft} - bronze gladiator sandals {Steve Madden via Century 21}


Adding to my summer despair was my anxiety about what happens after graduation from Parsons, which I talked about in this post. Since then, I have learned a few things, had a great week at my Bloomingdale's internship, become inspired about a potential career goal and planned a few end of summer adventures. 

I learned that, with my student visa, I qualify for something called OPT (Optional Practical Training). This allows me to work in the States for up to one year after graduating, in a job directly related to my degree. This is great news and takes a huge weight off my shoulders.

Last week at Bloomie's I further developed relationships with a few of the Fashion Directors, learning how they made it to the positions they have now. I was also given the privilege of going to the Alice + Olivia and Marc Jacobs showrooms - arguably the coolest thing I have gotten to do since coming to NYC thus far.

I recently heard that my bestie from Calgary is coming to NYC at the end of August for a conference and she will try and arrive a few days early to spend time with me. Exciting! I also booked a ticket to Toronto for a mini getaway before classes start to visit one of my Victoria besties and a few other friends. I am insanely excited about this since I haven't seen this friend in two years!

I have a busy month ahead of me and before I know it classes will start again (the nerd in me is very excited about that). I have lots to do and look forward to and I will try and grin and bear my way through one more month of gritty New York because I have been told that the fall here will make up for it.

j.

P.S. Yes, I purposefully didn't tell you about my newest career idea, because I don't want to jinx things and I want to flesh it out some more before I go all cyberspace on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions, warm fuzzies?