Pages

Tuesday 14 May 2013

New York Warp Speed



With only 9 more days left in NYC, I find myself appreciating all of the little things that this city and my life here have to offer. I take an extra deep breath when walking past my favorite corner flower stand. I smile smugly to myself when I run for the train and jump through the doors right before they close on me. I'm even enjoying some of my final projects (well, really just one and it's only because I'm really nerdy). In my last social commerce class yesterday, our prof had us think of a mentor we have had and then on a piece of paper write down the qualities this person possesses. After a few minutes, she told us to flip the paper over and write down what this person has taught us. Now, I'm not going to lie, there was a lot of eye rolling going on in the room during this exercise, especially because it wasn't to be handed in and rather just for us to keep. But being the goody goody I am, I obliged and started jotting down what my mentor (who I met at Parsons) has taught me. There are only a few people I've met in my life that I felt the need to impress, and maybe that's not quite the right word. Perhaps more accurately, they have inspired me to do my best work and then some. From the moment I met this person, I had this feeling. He imparted a fraction of his knowledge and experience onto me and because of this allowed me to grow in ways I never thought imaginable. His confidence in my skills and collaborative critiques have given me the ability to think that much further outside the box and push that much harder against what I thought I could do or become.

He led me to my current internship at a PR agency where I have had the most rewarding experience. Even though I have only been at this agency for four months, I feel like I have learned more than most people learn after years at a job. It's like I've all of a sudden realized just how far I've come and how much I've grown over the past year and a half in this city. What could have taken years and years at a mediocre job (and maybe not even!) to achieve has happened to me here, in this short time. I feel confident in the direction I want my life to go and I have a much clearer picture of what I want my career to look like. I owe that to a lot of people, including myself for taking this chance, but I also owe it to this city and the warp speed that it runs at.

j.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions, warm fuzzies?