Pages

Sunday 23 December 2012

Leather Elbow Patch DIY




I'm baaaack! And I come bearing a little how-to on leather elbow patches. I had been wanting a sweater with leather elbows for a long time but never did find the perfect one so I decided that I could make one. All you need are the items above. I've given you a step-by-step guide below, it was really quite simple. I'll also share a few tips that I learned along the way.





Yep! It's really that easy. I did encounter a few difficulties so here are a few tips so you can avoid them!

-Since it's the sleeve and you only want to stitch through one layer of the sweater, getting to the inside was a bit tricky at first. I found it much easier to get at it through the neck hole instead of the arm hole, if that makes sense.

-I was pleased to discover that the leather did not shift that much during the sewing process but I pinned it at the top, just in case.

-Grow an extra layer of skin on your fingertips or consider wearing band-aids. My fingers are still sore from that darn needle!

-And the most important tip...line up the second patch with the first one BEFORE you sew the entire thing on and discover that it is a good three inches higher than the first one.

I LOVE how it turned out, stay tuned to see the whole sweater in all it's leather elbow patch glory!

j.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions, warm fuzzies?